Pages

December 07, 2011

Wordy Wednesday : Sublime

Greetings, linguistically inclined friends!

It’s time for Wordy Wednesday!

My thoughts have been running much toward
Christmas
lately, so I thought I’d share a word
I noticed in a carol on the Casting Crowns CD

{which is all that I’ve been listening to this week}



Peace on Earth



Our word for today is:

sublime

:  lofty, grand, or exalted  :

:  of outstanding spiritual, intellectual, or moral worth  :

:  high in place, lofty, or supreme  :


as in


Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

‘Till, ringing, singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

{from I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow}


What interesting words have you come across
as Christmas draws near?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...