Pages

August 09, 2011

A Beautiful Birthday

I turn 33 today.

I used to think that “30” seemed old.  Back when I was 17, and I knew everything.

Every day I learn something new.  Something about myself, my kids, life.

My life is … amazing.

I can’t recall ever having a driving ambition to be any certain thing.

I wanted to be an archaeologist for a while, and an Egyptologist, and a teacher, and someone rich enough to live in Ireland (I don’t think that qualifies as an occupation, but oh, well).

Mostly what I remember from my youth is being angry.

I didn’t really like myself much.  Or anyone else.  I wasn’t a very good friend.  I wasn’t a very nice person.

I could put on a really good front, and convince you that I was the good girl.

But that wasn’t me. 

“I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall.  I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.”

Lamentations 3:19-20

That was me.  Then.

~     ~     ~     ~     ~

This is me.  Now.

“Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”

Lamentations 3:21-23

 

The Lord has blessed me so richly.

Four wonderful boys to love and care for and teach and raise up to be Godly men.

An incredible husband who loves me and protects me, cherishes me and sacrifices himself for me.

Family that loves me and blesses me with the joy of their presence.  (And with pizza…but I digress.)

 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~

The Lord has given me His grace and mercy.

Grace

the blessing and favor of God, which I could never, in a million lifetimes, deserve

Mercy

the withholding of the punishment which I absolutely deserve, a million times over

 

Thank You, Jesus, for another beautiful birthday.

 

1 comment:

  1. I love this . . . sounds like our pasts are similar :)
    I was such an angry girl.
    I am such a content and happy adult.
    So far, my 30s are the best decade yet!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...